Daily Manna

book_211_01.jpg

곱 130세, 요셉 40세

하나님께서는 요셉을 미리 국무총리로 세우셔서 하나님의 백성을 기근으로부터 보호해 주시는 섭리를 진행하셨습니다. 야곱의 가족은 7년 대풍년이 지나고 흉년이 시작된 지 3년째 되는 해, 즉 요셉이 총리 된 지 10년째에 애굽으로 이주하였습니다.

창세기 45:6 “...아직 오 년은 기경도 못 하고 추수도 못 할지라”

창세기 45:11 “흉년이 아직 다섯 해가 있으니...”

(1) 요셉을 다시 만나기까지 야곱의 외로운 노정 23년

야곱은 가장 아끼고 사랑하던 요셉을 잃고 난 후, 극도의 슬픔에 빠졌습니다. 이 슬픔을 창세기 37:34-35에서는 “자기 옷을 찢고 굵은 베로 허리를 묶고 오래도록 그 아들을 위하여 애통하니 그 모든 자녀가 위로하되 그가 그 위로를 받지 아니하여 가로되 내가 슬퍼하며 음부에 내려 아들에게로 가리라 하고 그 아비가 그를 위하여 울었더라”고 말씀하였습니다.

또한 야곱이 요셉을 잃은 지 13년 후인 120세에 지금까지 신앙의 큰 주춧돌이요, 큰 위로자가 되었던 아버지 이삭마저 죽게 됩니다. 그 후에는 연이어 극심한 기근을 만났습니다. 식량을 구하기 위해 애굽에 자식들을 보내었을 때, 둘째 아들 시므온이 볼모로 잡히는 사건(창  42:36)까지 당합니다.

이러한 야곱의 암울하고 고통스러운 생활은 요셉과 헤어지고 다시 그를 만나기까지 23년 동안 계속되었습니다.

우리는 이러한 생활 속에서 야곱은 라헬의 막내아들 베냐민에게 특별한 애착을 가지고 있음을 보게 됩니다. 야곱은 베냐민을 볼 때마다 산고(産苦) 속에 죽어 간 라헬과, 자신의 전부를 쏟아 사랑한 요셉이 날마다 눈물겹도록 생각났을 것입니다. 그러므로 베냐민은 노년의 야곱에게 유일한 소망이었을 것입니다. 다시 양식을 구하러 애굽으로 갈 때 베냐민을 데리고 가려 하자, 야곱은 “너희가 나의 흰 머리로 슬피 음부로 내려가게 함이 되리라”라고 하면서 심히 슬퍼하였습니다(창 42:38).

그런데 마침내 야곱은 그의 나이 130세에, 죽은 줄로만 알았던 요셉을 23년 만에 다시 만나게 되었습니다.

처음에 요셉이 살아 있다는 소식을 듣고는 기색〔기운 기(氣), 막을 색(塞): 심한 흥분이나 타격으로 숨이 막힘〕했습니다. 야곱은 요셉이 보냈다는 수나귀 열 필에 실린 애굽의 아름다운 물품과 또한 암나귀 열 필에 가득한 곡식과 떡과 양식(창 45:23)을 보았습니다. 그리고 요셉이 보내 온 수레를 보자 기운이 소생〔깨날 소(蘇), 날 생(生): 다시 살아남〕했다고 기록하고 있습니다(창 45:27-28). 애굽에 내려가서 사랑하는 아들 요셉을 품에 안는 순간, 수없는 역경에 내려가서 사랑하는 아들 요셉을 품에 안는 순간, 수없는 역경과 고난과 눈물과 한숨과 고독 그리고 그것을 넘어서는 하나님의 위대한 섭리 앞에 감사하면서 눈물을 흘렸습니다. 이때의 감격을 야곱은 이렇게 고백합니다.

창세기 46:30 “이스라엘이 요셉에게 이르되 네가 지금까지 살아 있고 내가 네 얼굴을 보았으니 지금 죽어도 가하도다”

‘기운이 소생했다’라는 말씀과 “족하도다! 내가 죽기 전에 가서 보리라”, “지금 죽어도 가하다”라고 한 고백에서 야곱이 긴 세월 동안 외로움과 고독을 겪으면서 너무도 지쳐 있었던 삶의 흔적들이 묻어납니다. 야곱이 76세에 형 에서를 피해 고향을 떠난 이후, 또한 130세가 되어서 애굽에 들어가기까지 약 54년 동안의 생애는 실로 극심한 고난의 연속이었습니다. 그래서 야곱은 애굽 왕 바로 앞에서 자기 인생을 한 마디로 “내 나그네 길의 세월”이 “험악한 세월”이라고 고백하였습니다(창 47:9).

그러나 하나님께서는 야곱의 험악한 나그네 인생길을 통하여 아브라함에게 약속하셨던 언약들을 차근차근 성취시켜 나아가셨습니다.

우리도 비록 이 땅에서 나그네로 살면서 야곱처럼 말할 수 없이 험악한 세월의 연속이더라도 최후에는 선한 것으로 바꾸어 주시며, 합력하여 선을 이루도록 하시는(롬 8:28) 하나님의 구속사적 섭리를 발견하고 굳게 믿으며 끝까지 감사할 수 있어야 합니다.

박윤식 목사 "잊어버렸던 만남" (휘선. 2016), 242-244쪽 中

Jacob and 70 Members of His Family Migrate to Egypt (Gen 46:1-27),

1876 BC, 206th Year of the Covenant of the Torch, Third Year of the Great Famine

Jacob's age, 130; Joseph's age, 40

God carried out His plan to protect the Israelites by sending Joseph to Egypt in advance and establishing him as second-in-command. Jacob's family moved to Egypt after the seven years of plenty, in the third year of the famine, ten years after Joseph assumed his lofty position.

genesis 45:6 For the famine has been in the land these two years, and there are still five years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvesting.

Genesis 45:11 There I will also provide for you, for there are still five years of famine to come, lest you and your household and all that you have be impoverished.

(1) The lonely 23 years of Jacob until he reunites with Joseph

Jacob fell into a state of deep sorrow after he lost his most beloved Joseph. Gen 37:34-35 states, "So Jacob tore his clothes, and put sackcloth on his loins, and mourned for his son many days. Then all his sons and all his daughters arose to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted. And he said, 'Surely I will go down to Sheol in mourning for my son.' So his father wept for him."

At the age of 120, thirteen years after Jacob had lost Joseph, he also lost his father, Isaac, who had been the cornerstone of his faith and his greatest comforter. Not too long afterwards, a severe famine struck the land. When Jacob sent his sons to Egypt to buy some food, Simeon was taken captive (Gen 42:36). Thus, tragedy continued for Jacob for 23 years after he had parted with Joseph until they were reunited.

It is evident that Jacob had special affection for Benjamin, born to him by his beloved Rachel. He probably saw in Benjamin the face of Rachel, dying in the midst of labor pains, and the face of Joseph, whom he loved so dearly. Thus, Benjamin was Jacob's sole comfort in his old age. When his sons sought to take Benjamin with them on their second trip to Egypt for food, Jacob said, "My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he alone is left. If harm should befall him on the journey you are taking, then you will bring my gray hair down to Sheol in sorrow" (Gen 42:38).

At last, after 23 years, at the age of 1130, Jacob reunited with his son Joseph whom he thought was dead. At first, Jacob was stunned (i.e., great excitement causing difficulty in breathing) to learn that Joseph was alive, but his spirit revived (Gen 45:27-28) when he saw the "ten donkeys loaded with the best things of Egypt, and ten female donkeys loaded with grain and bread and sustenance" that Joseph had sent (Gen 45:23). The account that Jacob's spirit revived and his own words, "It is enough; my son Joseph is still alive, I will go and see him before I die," hint at the my son Joseph is still alive. I will go and see him before I die," hint at the long years of loneliness and despair. The 54 years of life between the time he fled from Esau at the age of 76 until he moved to Egypt at the age of 130 were years of continuous affliction. For this reason, Jacob confessed when he stood before Pharaoh, "The years of my sojourning are one hundred and thirty; few and unpleasant have been the years of my life, nor have they attained the years that my fathers lived during the days of their sojourning" (Gen 47:9). Nevertheless, God continued to fulfill the covenant He had given to Abraham one by one through Jacob's harsh life of sojourning.

We must firmly believe and unceasingly give thanks by discovering the redemptive providence of God, who causes all thanks by discovering the redemptive providence of God, who causes all things to work together for good (Tom 8:28), even in the days of continuous sufferings in our sojourning life on this earth like Jacob.

152-102 서울시 구로구 오류2동 147-76 평강제일교회 에메트인터넷선교회 | 홈페이지 문의 02)2618.7168
Copyrightⓒ2013 Pyungkang Cheil Presbyterian Church | 도서문의 휘선 02)2684.6082